The first step is to check that you’re qualified to take an Instructor Development Course.
IDC Course Prerequisites
To enroll in an IDC an individual must:
1. Be certified as a PADI Divemaster or hold a leadership level certification with another recreational diver training organization.
2. Be at least 18 years old.
3. Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement for a diving medical examination conducted within the past 12 months. A licensed physician must sign the form and state that the candidate is fit for diving. The physician signing the form may not be the applicant.
4. Have been a certified diver for at least six months and have completed and logged at least 100 open water scuba dives (as documented in your log book) and have documentation of experience in deep, night and navigation diving.
5. Submit proof of CPR and first aid training within the last 24 months.
6. Submit documentation of any qualifying certification for entry level, advanced, rescue and leadership-level issued by another recreational diver training organization.
7. If not a PADI Divemaster, successfully complete the PADI Divemaster course diver rescue skills assessment.
Great, you meet the qualifications to join an Instructor Development Course. Now pick a date.
Then you have to prepare:
Independent Learning Prerequisites
Prior to the start of an Instructor Development Course you need to understand the 5 theory segments of the IDC. Physics, Physiology, Skills and Environment, RDP and Equipment. These subject can be self study or learned on-line via PADI.
Next you need to check that you have all the necessary study tools:
Instructor Candidate Materials
Instructor candidates must have a current version of these required materials:
• PADI Instructor Manual
• Guide to Teaching
• Project AWARE Specialty Program Instructor Outline
• Specialty Instructor Outlines
• PADI Open Water Diver Manual
• Recreational Dive Planner, table and eRDPml, and Instructions for Use booklets
• Open Water Diver Quizzes and Exam booklet
• Adventures in Diving Manual
• PADI Rescue Diver Manual
• Rescue Diver Final Exams booklet
• PADI Divemaster Manual
• Divemaster Final Exams booklet
• Aquatic Cue Cards – for Open Water Dive, Adventures in Diving, Rescue Diver, Divemaster and Discover Scuba Diving
• Confined Water Lesson Preparation slate
• Open Water Training Dive Lesson Planning slate
• The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
• Diving Knowledge Workbook
All of the materials you need will be provided for your use during the IDC and IE. Cozumel Dive School offers you the PADI Crew Pak to fill in the gaps and make sure that all required material is at your disposal.
*Instructor Development Crew Pak:
Guide to Teaching
Instructor Manual - Digital
DSD Instructor Cue Card
Confined & Open Water Lesson planning Slates
Confined & Open Water Cue Cards
Advanced Open Water Instructor Cue Cards
Rescue Diver Instructor Cue Cards
Specialty Instructor Manual
Project AWARE Specialty Instructor Outline
AWARE - Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Instructor Outline
Open Water Diver Quizzes & Exams booklet
Rescue Diver Final Exams booklet
Divemaster Final Exams booklet
PADI Back Pack
Do you have your equipment?
As a PADI Pro you should have all your equipment owned by now, if not don’t worry. Cozumel Dive School will let you use their equipment free of charge during the IDC and IE. However, we encourage all Instructor Candidates to have there own full set of Scuba gear.
“Having your own equipment makes you look more like the professional you are and in this business the more professional you are the better your chances are in landing a great job in the location you want.”
Full Scuba Equipment including (knife, whistle, safety sausage and compass)
Now for the best part, pick the date you want for your IDC
IDC Schedule 2017:
AI - Assistant Instructor
EFRI – Emergency First Response Instructor
OWSI - Open Water Scuba Instructor
MSDT – Master Scuba Diver Trainer
IDC – Instructor Development Course
IE – Instructor Exam